What is Pivot Nepal ?
Pivot Nepal is an initiative to bring out entrepreneurial spirit within mobile application developer community in Nepal. It is a platform for mobile app developers and other mobile enthusiasts to bring forward their creative and innovative mobile app ideas, products and prototypes that has the potential to stand out as a sustainable business in itself.
Who is Pivot Nepal targeted for ?
Pivot Nepal is targeted for both mobile application developers and non-developers with a gill for mobile app based entrepreneurship. If you have some killer mobile app ideas and concepts that you think will work in Nepalese context and has the potential to be scaled up at an International level this is the right avenue for you to submit your idea and take it forward. At the same time, if you already have conceived and developed mobile app and are looking to develop business around it, this is the right place for your to submit your concept and take it forward.
Who are behind Pivot Nepal ?
Pivot Nepal is and event of MobileNepal and infoDev, The World Bank. It is organized together with Nepal Young Entrepreneurs Forum (NYEF) with support from YoungInnovations. As we move along, there will be more organizations joining use as supporters.
What are the important dates to remember ?
- February 25, 2013 – Call for Submissions
- March 15, 2013 – Submission Deadline
- March 20, 2013 – 15 Finalists announced
- March 21 – April 21, 2013 – Mentorship and Coaching Period for Finalists
- April 26, 3013 – Pitching Event and Award Ceremony
Is Pivot Nepal directly linked with Pivot East ?
Although we carry similar brand, Pivot Nepal is not directly linked with Pivot East. We are following footsteps of Pivot East in consent with Pivot East organizers. Methodologies of Pivot East have been adapted to fit local context of Nepal
Pivot Nepal Process
What is the process for Pivot Nepal ?
- Registration and submission of ideas/concepts/prototypes/products by individual teams based on challenge categories within specified time frame.
- An independent jury comprising of expert professionals and evangelists on mobile entrepreneurship will select 5 most promising teams under each category.
- Selected 15 teams (5 under each category) will undergo rigorous face2face as well as virtual mentorship, training and guidance on several aspects of their project with selected mentors and coaches for a period of one month.
- Each of the selected team will refine their ideas, develop business cases and a minimum value product within two months of idea submission.
- Each team will pitch their product and business case to an international panel of judges and other stakeholders including investors, technical experts, business leaders, etc.
- Winners under each category and an overall winner will be announced at the end of pitching event who will be rewarded with cash and other prizes.
- Organizers will work with each of the winners and other finalists and collectively explore the possibility of connecting them to relevant stakeholders (investors, incubators, etc.) both at the local and international level.
Is it mandatory for selected teams to go through the process of guidance and mentorship?
Yes, all 15 finalists need to go through the process of guidance and mentorship. This will be an opportunity for you to refine your ideas, shape up your business plan and get ready for final pitching. Organizers are committed to link you up with right mentors and coaches based on your submission.
What happens during the Pitching Event ?
During the final pitching event, you will pitch your product and idea to an International panel of Judges and other observers. Judges will ask questions on different facets of your idea/product and the business case. Overall scores from the judges for all the teams will be compiled to announce thematic and overall winners. During the event, we will also invite different stakeholders including business leaders, potential investors, etc. and provide an opportunity for winners and finalists to establish network with relevant individuals and organizations.
What are the prizes ?
Out of 15 finalists (5 under each category), there will be 3 category winners who will receive USD 1,000 each. Plus, there will be an overall winner who will receive additional cash prize of USD 3,000. Overall winner will also get a fully funded trip to international event to pitch and showcase their product.
What happens after the winners are selected ?
Organizers will work closely with winning teams to explore opportunity to expand / scale up their product by establishing proper linkages and connections both at national and international level. The overall winner will be provided an opportunity to share their idea and product at an international event as well.
Who can participate in Pivot Nepal ?
You can participate as competitor and submit your ideas, concepts, products and prototypes to enter into the competition. All you need to do is meet our criteria for participation and make your submission within the given time limit.
What is the fee for participation ?
There are no fees charged for participation. However, participants need to manage their individual transportation, accommodation and other expenses on their own.
What is the criteria for participation ?
- This competition is only for teams. You have to apply as a team of at least two people and not as an individual. Teams can be from a established company working on an in-house mobile app product, a start-up company, a group of students from an educational institute, a team of freelancers, an informal group of friends, etc. If you are working alone, you need to team up with relevant individuals to be part of the competition.
- The idea, concept or product that is submitted can be at any stage. They could be in idea conception phase, planning phase, development phase or implementation phase.
- The idea, concept or product that is submitted must have the features of novelty, innovation and creativity. We are not just looking for a local version of existing ones.
- The submitted idea must have a strong component of mobile technology. We are not looking for ideas that is very promising but does not have emphasis on using existing mobile technology (hardware, software, connectivity, etc.) and solutions.
- Individual teams have to take the total responsibility for any infringement of intellectual property or other legal issues related to their submissions.
- The competition is open only for Nepali nationals who are residing within Nepal.
Why is participation limited to only teams and not individuals ?
The whole concept behind Pivot Nepal is to stimulate mobile app based entrepreneurship in Nepal. We want promising ideas and concepts in terms of finalists and winners to take their concept forward beyond Pivot Nepal. In this context, we believe that if there are more than one individual working on the product, the chances or sustainability in the long run is higher and the idea does not die out by virtue of one single individual's shift in interest.
If you have an idea and do not have a team, you can try to form a team yourself or post your interest in forming a team to our vibrant MobileNepal community at www.mobilenepal.net . Our community members will be more than happy to help you out.
Can I participate in the event as an observer ?
Although participation is focused more on teams submitting ideas, there will be limited opportunities for other stakeholders to attend our pitching event. More information on this will be posted in our website before the pitching event. Stay tuned !
Submission of Ideas / Concepts / Prototypes / Products
What kind of ideas/concepts/prototypes/products can i submit ?
The submission must have a strong component of mobile technology. We are not looking for ideas that is very promising but does not have emphasis on using existing mobile technology (hardware, software, connectivity, etc.) and solutions. However, the idea, concept or product that is submitted can be at any stage. They could be in idea conception phase, planning phase, development phase or implementation phase. At the same time, we look for novelty, innovation and creativity in your submission. We are not just looking for a local version of existing ones.
What are the different categories for submission?
Mobile technologies offer great opportunity to deliver services that matter to society at large. With mobile coverage already reaching more than 60% of the population, the prospect of using mobile technologies in sectors like agriculture, health, environment, governance, etc. for better service delivery is even more prominent.
We look for concepts, ideas and applications that aim to solve existing problems through adoption of mobile technologies in specific thematic areas like health, agriculture, governance, etc.
Business and Financial Services
Mobile technologies have brought revolution in the way different business verticals operate with enhanced productivity and efficiency these days. Usage of mobile phones are no longer limited to communication but have the potential to be an integral part of business processes as a whole. Mobile technologies are used to deliver financial services like transfer of funds, utilities payment, etc. They can be used for transaction of goods and services and also for enhancing customer service, service accessibility, etc. in different business segments.
Applications, concepts and ideas submitted under this category should look at providing mobile technology based solutions to enhance efficiency and productivity in different business and financial sectors.
Utilities and Entertainment
With improved hardware and software stack, the power of mobile phones can be used for various utility aspects to assist individuals and organizations in their day to day activities. Mobile CRM, scheduled messaging, mobile data backup, personalized news readers, etc. are just very few examples of such utilities that mobile applications can bring in. At the same time, the way people play games, watch movies, interact with each other, etc. have never been better than before because of mobile technologies.
We seek innovative and creative submissions in terms of ideas, concepts, prototypes and products that has the prospect to provide enriched entertainment or utility services to wider population using mobile technologies.
What information do we need to submit ?
Once call for submissions are open, you will be asked to submit necessary details in the form itself. However, we are loooking for information about your team, your idea and concept, the stage your idea is in, etc.
We are confused on the category that idea our belongs to. What can we do ?
You can contact us with a brief details of your idea and we will help you in identifying appropriate category. So far, our categories are broad enough to accommodate most mobile app ideas.
We have an idea but donot have a prototype or product. Is it still valid for submission ?
Yes, we are looking for promising concepts and ideas. During two months period, you will have opportunity to develop a minimum value product based as well.
Can we submit more than one idea ?
No ! Each team must submit only one idea. Also, one single individual can belong to only one team. If you have multiple killer concepts and products, we want you to focus on the one that you think is the best.
Can we edit our submission ?
Yes, you will be able to edit your submission in our website till the time submissions are closed.
Who retains the right for ideas submitted ?
Individual teams retain the rights for ideas submitted. However, organizers shall not be held liable for any issues related to intellectual property right infringement related to your idea.
What if the idea / concept that we have submitted is also submitted by some other team ?
In case of conflict of this kind, the submission that was done first will be considered valid.
Will our ideas be made public ?
Yes, once your submission is approved by our system, it will be posted automatically in our website. Also, we will make public 15 finalist ideas and concepts in our website along with different other mainstream and social media. If you think you are not comfortable with exposing your concept, perhaps you should not submit those.